Pumps!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
2 pumps, or 3? I'm planning on running QD's everywhere, so is the main (only) difference that I'll have more work connecting/disconnecting hoses? Is there anything I can't do with 2 that I can do with 3?

Also, I'm currently designing my eHERMS and wanted some pump reviews from people. I want to use QD's on the pumps as well. I want to go ahead and order them so they're here when I get home, but I trust you guys a lot more than "product description/review."

(In a nutshell - how many & why, and what kind & why)

Thanks in advance!

**edit - it will be an automated rig with a control panel mounted to the frame so I'll need to be able to wire it as such.

There's really nothing you can't do with two pumps that you can do with three for most systems. Just like you're thinking, fewer pumps means either more changing around of hoses, or a much more complicated valve/plumbing system. I only use one pump, but I also batch sparge, and use a stir motor to keep my HLT circulating instead of a pump. A second pump is either needed or makes things a lot easier for a lot of system designs, but I do just fine with one.

If you run a quick search you'll find a bunch of threads discussing the pros and cons of various pumps. The most popular pumps for homebrewing are probably the march 809, chugger, and little giant. I have a little giant 3-md series pump that I wouldn't trade for anything, but that's just me.

Yeah, I will search when I get back if I haven't already ordered them. I'm working now, 15ish hour days every day for 2 weeks straight. I'm lucky if I find time to post (usually on the throne!!) so I don't really have time to search. That's what I love about HBT, even if you don't have time right away, you can usually find some good answers from experienced people PDQ!

I am using chugger an I am happy. Mike from chugger has great service and has sent me free replacement pumps

I ran my system with one pump for the last six months. I have march pumps just because that's the one i got the cheapest when i first started my stand. I only started with one pump due to amount of money and figured i could get by with one until i got another one. i just got the second one and have only done a couple batches with the two pumps. not much of a difference (i have been batch sparging) other than not changing hoses as often. I also use cam locks on everything.

I'd go with two. My setup (direct fired RIMS) would not even work right with one. The HLT heats up water for the sparge while my mash water is heating up for dough-in and mashing. The HLT recircs the entire time - as does the Mash. I do agree three would be overkill.

I went with one March 809 and Camlocks on everything. I can pump from and to any where in my system just by moving a couple of hoses. Of course I am a cheap old dude so getting me to buy one was a two month ordeal. But I finally quit squeezing the bull and let go of the cash. All the fittings and all the pump stuff was right at 200 bucks from Austin Homebrew. They have it in stock and ready to ship immediately for about the best price around if you use the free freight feature. Good luck, and hope this helps you decide.
Bob

I went with one March 809 and Camlocks on everything. I can pump from and to any where in my system just by moving a couple of hoses. Of course I am a cheap old dude so getting me to buy one was a two month ordeal. But I finally quit squeezing the bull and let go of the cash. All the fittings and all the pump stuff was right at 200 bucks from Austin Homebrew. They have it in stock and ready to ship immediately for about the best price around if you use the free freight feature. Good luck, and hope this helps you decide.
Bob

There is NEVER free freight to Alaska!

Thanks for all the info. What about if you want to start a second batch simultaneously, seems like if you start mashing after you're boiling it wouldn't matter, still. I'm just thinking about pumping through the plate chiller WHILE recirculating through the HEX. Sounds like I'll need at least 2.

Latest posts

Back