Cooling Speed:2 techniques with Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnojohnson

Reaction score
This is more of a thought experiment since I don't have time to do the research right now.

1. So far I've been cooling my wort using my double-coil immersion chiller. One coil sits in an ice-water bath and the other in the wort. I run water from the garden hose through it.

2. Another idea is to run the ice-water into the IC and have both coils sitting in the wort. My coils are conveniently coiled at different diameters so they fit inside each other nicely.

It doesn't seem like the tap water in technique 1 gets down to ice water temp by the time it leaves the 1st coil. However the water is already pretty hot by the time it comes out of the 2nd coil in the wort. Even if I got it down to ice water before it went in would it be doing much cooling in the 2nd coil if it were immersed?

I guess I could go look up some formulas for cooling rates etc. Is there a resource for any experiments on this?

Yeah I guess that would be the most effective way to do it although I was planning on using my auto-siphon and gravity. I'd need a second setup.

i started with the ice setup but since put the coils in series, but with separate cool water. I split the hose water. Worked reasonably well. I do the same for my CFC now too.

Back