Pale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the bestI need help coming up with a recipe for some hops I got for Christmas. I have Bravo, Magnum, Summit and Willamette. Yesterday I bought 6# of Pale Ale Extract and 1# of Crystal 60L. First and foremost I am assuming based on past beers I have made is the add the Extract and Crystal 60L at the start.
From what I have read Bravo is a Bittering and Aroma Hop. Summit is Bittering and sometime used as a Dry Hop. Also see that is usually used in IPA's. WIllamte can be used as an Aroma and Moderate Bittering hop. Finally, I see Magnum is usually used as a Bittering Hop.

So, I dont have to use all the hops in the beer, but would love to do at least two of them, unless you guys feel one hop would be better to use as Bittering, Aroma, and Flavor.

Oh and I have Wyeast 1335, which is British Ale.

Thanks!

Unless you're wanting an IPA, the Summit hops may be too strong. They have a very high AA content. For bittering I'd use the Magnum because it bitters well but doesn't take over a beer. Bravo will bitter well, but carries a more floral aroma too, which you approximate with the Willamette later in the boil. If it were me I'd try the Magnum for bittering and Willamette for flavor/aroma. It really depends on what you're looking for though. Sometimes you can find lists of what commercial beers contain what hops and for what purposes. It could be worth hunting some of these down and trying them to see what you think.

I am looking to make a pale ale. I assumed that Summit would be better for an IPA. I will see what I can find online about other beers.

So would you just add Magnum at 60 Minutes then add Willamette at 15 & 5? Should I do any dry hopping?

Back