Half batch Mash Tun questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
I am moving to all grain but I only have a 5 gal brew pot so I'll be doing half batches. I am building a cooler style mash tun but I figured I would make a smaller MLT to take up less space and be proportional to the size I'm working with.

So my question is.... Will a 3 gallon MLT be enough space for a half batch? I am still learning water to grain amounts and sparge size. I was thinking it would be enough but thought I would ask to be sure.

Also, would a 5 gal MLT be too big for half batches? Worried about too little grain and water amounts leaving too much headspace and temp loss.

I know it would might be a good idea to just build the 5 gal MLT but working in the field I do all the parts except the cooler are free. So I figured why not.

As usual thanks for all the advice!

5 gallon MLT will be just fine. I do them whenever I want to experiment in a 7 gallon MLT with no issues. ( actually I get better efficency)

No temp problem?
If I sstill went with the 3 gal would that be enough room?

Back