HELP. Is my SSR bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsklhm10

Reaction score
So I finished up my control panel yesterday, very similar to Kal's build. Didn't really mess with it to much last night other than pluging it in and seeing if everything turned on (did not hook up elements).

Get up today and hook up elements and heres what happens. If there is no element hooked up to the outlet and I switch over the element switch, the notification light will come on. However, if I then hookup the element plug and flip the switch, no light???? Also, the relay I received from auberins has a little red light on it which is not lighting up. Also, if I take a voltmeter to the outlet, the line coming from the SSR is only showing like 30+- volts, whereas the other line straight from the power relay is showing 120.

Does this mean my SSR is bad? If so, then why will the indicator light come on when nothing is attached to the outlet, but then it won't when there is? Any immediate info is helpful

Connect a normal house lamp to the output on your SSR. If it turns on/off correcty, the SSR is working. This is the only good way to test the SSR. Ignore the voltmeter here.

Regarding the indicators, etc, sorry can't help there.

Also, there is definitely 120v coming in to the SSR from the power relay, but only like 20v coming out the other side. I have pin 7 from the pid to the + of the SSR and pin 8 to the - of the SSR.

Connect a normal house lamp to the output on your SSR. If it turns on/off correcty, the SSR is working. This is the only good way to test the SSR. Ignore the voltmeter here.

Regarding the indicators, etc, sorry can't help there.

What do you mean by connect a lamp to the output? Disconnect the side coming from the SSR to the element contactor and connect a lamp in its place? I feel like the SSR isn't even getting power from the pid...

Back