Partial Mash Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I've done a couple partial mashes BIAB recently with varying degrees of success. I went from a extract with steeping grains to this and figured the more water to mash in, the better. This is apparently untrue. My question is why? Mashing in a larger volume results in a thinner wort, I hear. I don't understand why that would matter when you are adding Sparge water and possibly top off water + DME or LME. I guess I'm just not understanding why the final product would be different/thinner/worse.

Also why is 1.25-1.5 qts per pound the sweet spot? If too much water is bad, why isn't less water even better? Like just enough to cover the grain?

I understand why Sparge water volume doesn't seem to matter as much cause you are going to add water anyway after the Sparge to reach your boiling volume anyway.

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about partial mash BIAB, I don't have the stones for AG yet.

too much water may create pH issues and/or stretch the enzymes too thin. not sure if its really an issue tho cuz some BIABers do full volume mashes

too thick is difficult to work with

Back