Is this a good deal?? starting gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vashro

Reaction score
Hey i'm just getting into all this, I have been reading forever and want to start putting it all together hands on. is this a good deal I found? somebody upgrading their setup and is selling off all their old equipment?

275$

A partial list of this home brewing lot of equipment includes: 5 gallon brewing pot with lid; three 6.5 gallon glass carboys (two with carboy handles); two fermenting buckets; one bottling bucket; one copper immersion wort chiller; forty-five bottle drying tree; bottling tube; airlocks; boiling bags; bottle washer; stirring paddle; bottle capper; bottle/carboy cleaning brush; siphon tubing; high-end auto-siphon racking cane; benzomatic oxygenator; yeast fermenter; lots of siphon tubing and more!

how does that sound??

Sounds a little high to me. Just doing some rough calculations, it sounds like you could pretty much buy all that equipment brand new for what he's charging used, maybe even for less.

If the equipment is in excellent condition, I'd offer no more than $200.

Just getting up to the bottle tree it's over $300 on Austin Homebrew. There's probably close to a hundred dollars worth of equipment I didn't price.

:tank:

Couple things:

1) That's way more equipment then you will need starting out
2) There are no 5 gallon carboys which is what you need to secondary
3) I wouldn't buy used tubing or other cleaning implements
4) You can get a decent starter kit for around $150 and then add the pieces YOU want

If I were you I'd get a new starter kit and go from there rather than buying used equipment when starting out.

Back