Motor Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theichthus

Reaction score
I harvested this pump from an espresso machine and intend to use it on my HB set up. I am looking into what connectors to use but am not sure how much current it draws. Can anyone help interpret this label? The wires from the motor are only AWG 18, but they may assume a short distance? It is 220 so half the current of the same power at 110. Will 14 gauge wire and 15 amp connectors be more than sufficient?

image-3674189797.jpg

....well I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night.

It looks like 0.9 Amps on the label. If you try to run it at 110V that would double I think ,to 1.8A.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080811180121AA7bWRw

I'd really get some professional electrical help. ...or find a 110V motor.

Are you planning on making a pump? You'll need gear reduction.

We need a new thread like the one in my signature, only for "electrical home brew don'ts".

Thanks for the quick response. However, you misunderstood me. I was only acknowledging that because it is a 220 motor, it will draw less amps than the same amount of power at 110--justifying smaller wire. I am wiring it to 220. And I am not making a pump--it IS a pump. It is a sweet pump that is magnetically driven and pure SS. I have only crudely tested it with water, but it creates lots of pressure. I see the "0,9 A" on the label, but that just seems low. But, I just looked at a march pump @ morebeer and it draws 1.4 amps @ 110 so apparently .9 amps is reasonable. Awesome. Thanks for helping me think it through.

....well I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night.

It looks like 0.9 Amps on the label. If you try to run it at 110V that would double I think ,to 1.8A.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080811180121AA7bWRw

I'd really get some professional electrical help. ...or find a 110V motor.

Are you planning on making a pump? You'll need gear reduction.

We need a new thread like the one in my signature, only for "electrical home brew don'ts".

Don't connect 120V to the motor unless you know what type of motor it is. If you run a AC squirel cage motor wound for 240V at 120V you will draw way too much current & burn out!!!!!

I'm not sure exactly what purpose you intend putting it to, but espresso pumps are not made for continuous duty. Their specification typically requires something like 1 minute of rest after 1 minute of use.

alien said:
I'm not sure exactly what purpose you intend putting it to, but espresso pumps are not made for continuous duty. Their specification typically requires something like 1 minute of rest after 1 minute of use.

Thanks for the input. They were free so it never hurts to try (well at least I think not in this application). I plan on hooking them up in such a way that if they fail I can replace them with legit pumps designed for pumping wort. See any problem with that? They seem way oversized for their purpose--as everything in the machine was. They can from SBUX machines.

Back