Hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim-boSlice

Reaction score
I'm getting mixed responses on this one.

I've been extract brewing and adding hops in bags during the boil. Before I move the wort to the primary fermenter, I've been taking the hops out. Should I be leaving them in? Or are they already "used up" by the time the boil is over? I don't use a secondary fermenter so leaving them behind then is not an option.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Normally the only thing you want to transfer is cool wart to the ferm.

Once boiled, they are done.

Maybe ....... there is some extra goodness to be gained by leaving them in the primary, but I have never seen anyone advocate this. If there is any additional benefit, it is minimal.

Removing them after the boil or transferring them to the fermenter seems to make no difference.

I read on here yesterday that leaf hops are generally removed and for pellets it does not matter. (not sure what I looked up when I came across it) Just did a search on removing hops. General thinking says it is just personal preference.

Bill

Those saying it doesn't matter are probably talking about hop residue being transferred when you are not using a bag to boil them in. For example, I don't use a bag, but simply thrown the pellets into the boil. When racking cooled wort some hop residue goes into the fermenter--no problem there. However, I don't think anyone who recommend transferring your hop sack into the fermenter.

I would take the bag out after your wort has cooled. Depending how much hops you used could impart a veggital or grassy flavor to your beer if you transfer to the primary.

Back