Columbus hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
Just got a great deal on a pound of Columbus hops. I have spent some time searching for recipes that highlight this variety with no luck. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions?

Its really good in APA and IPA - but as odd as it sounds, if its a high quality hop - not cheesy or stale, it is great as a dry hop in those styles. Brewing a Rye Amber right now with the Columbus as a single hop.

I'm considering a Marris Otter/Columbus APA SMaSH to get a feel for the hop. Sound like a good combo? I have found a couple recipes in Brewing Classic Styles that use the hop as well. I have heard really good things about the hop, just having a hard time finding recipes that really focus on it. I think the source is high quality and am excited to play around.

If you search on here for a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone recipe, you'll find it uses a lot of Columbus throughout the brew. It is a great hop to use in American IPAs or IIPAs.

Oh hell Yes on Green Flash very good IPA. Columbus is a great hop. Get yourself a bottle of Hog Heaven there is a lot of Columbus in that beer.

Oh hell Yes on Green Flash very good IPA. Columbus is a great hop. Get yourself a bottle of Hog Heaven there is a lot of Columbus in that beer.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will do that. Already found the Green Flash recipe and will probably brew that after my pumpkin ale. Love me some hops! :rockin:

I you can find Deviant Dale's IPA where you, give it a try. It is double dry hopped with Columbus. Make sure the cans are fresh, less than 30 days from canned on date.

Willamette Valley Hops still has some 2011 Columbus @ $6.84 a pound.

It's really dank...I like it more in my ipas than apas, but regardless, I agree with those above-- awesome for dry hopping. I get a lot of the "fresh" hop flavor from it.

I feel that Columbus is very under appreciated. I use it in my Pilgrim Abbey Botolph's ale (English-ly Brown ale) and find its dynamite with centennial and cascade!

Oskar Blues G'Knight has a 4 oz per 6 gal addition at 10 minutes till the end of the boil.

Try this one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-flying-dog-raging-*****-313458/

OG 1074
SRM 9.8
IBU 73.2
FG 1013

90 minute boil

7.55kg US 2-row 94% (did not specify the maltster)
480g Crystal 60 6%

Mash at 153F

28g Warrior 17% at 90'
6g Amarillo 11% at 15'
(CTZ = Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus)
6g CTZ 15% at 15'
19g Amarillo at 0'
19g CTZ at 0'

WLP400

Ferment at 68F

The brewer added 6g gypsum to the mash and 12g gypsum to the boil.

Denny's Rye IPA is a very popular brew featuring Columbus hops. I use it in my own rye IPA (a hoppy amber, OG 1.067) which is delicious too.

Denny's Rye IPA is a very popular brew featuring Columbus hops. I use it in my own rye IPA (a hoppy amber, OG 1.067) which is delicious too.

Yup, forgot about that one, as my first ever batch of it goes on tap tomorrow evening after work. Needless to say, I can't wait to see how it tastes cold and mostly carbed with an ounce of Colombus in the keg.

The combination of Columbus and Amarillo is heaven in a glass. I know of multiple BOS-winning recipes that use Columbus and Amarillo. That's my personal favorite combination.

I love Amarillo, that sounds like an awesome combination and one that I will definitely play around with it.

Latest posts

Back