Time to Make It Up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
Allllllright. HBT collaborate. Here's what I want to do, and after researching a lot of IPA recipes I have a general idea of what I think I want. I want to do a five gallon batch of a SUPER hoppy flavored beer, but I don't want the bite at the end. Not sure if anyone has had the "Lagunita's Sucks Brown Shugga Imitation" beer they had out in limited release. It was amazing. HUGE smooth hops flavors up front that totally mellow out with zero hops bite at the end. They HAD to have pulled the hops out entirely at the end of the wort, yeah?

Anyways, I want to create something like that. I want to use UK goldings, Centennial and Cascade hops. I have thouroghly enjoyed these hops in other beers, I'd like to try and make a beer that focuses on these hops on their own.

It looks like 2-row should be my base with a little bit of 20L and MAYBE a little 60L and then the hops. I am thinking 5oz of hops and a california yeast? I'm looking for advice on malt amounts, how much of each specific hops, how long I should have them in, how long should the grain steep be(I'm thinking 60 minutes?) and any other ideas or inputs on this soon to be made up recipe. Maybe something that will throw a little flair into it?

Ready, go! :mug:

Pull the hops out at the end of boil? 15 oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch? Hmm...

If what you're looking for is huge hop flavor and aroma with little bitter bite, consider hop bursting, which basically requires adding all hop additions late in the boil, for many this is 20 min. Rather than doing 3 simple 5 oz additions, I think you might get more out of staggering the different hop varieties, and you probably won't need nearly a full pound for a 5 gallon batch... at some point, at least in my opinion, you're just wasting good hops. I'd do something like this (assuming 70% efficiency, all-grain):

GRIST
11.75 lbs US 2-Row
0.25 oz C60

HOP ADDITIONS
1.0 oz each Goldings and Centennial @ 20
1.0 oz each Cascade and Centennial @ 15
0.75 oz each Cascade and Centennial @ 10
0.50 oz each Goldings @ 10
0.75 oz Centennial @ 5
0.50 oz Cascade @ 5
0.75 oz each Cascade and Centennial @ flameout
1.0 oz Centennial + 0.50 oz Cascade @ dry hop (4 days only)

Altogether, this is just under 8 oz of hops, and it's more than enough.

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes and ferment clean (Lagunitas actually uses WLP002 fermented around 64F, which produces a great beer). About 4 days or so into fermentation add your dry hops, then either remove them or package after another 4 days- all the big guys dry hop for relatively short amounts of time, which eliminates the risk of getting vegetal flavors in your beer.

This will get you right around 60 IBU and produce an incredibly heavy hop flavor and aroma without the sharp bitterness.

Cheers!

I was thinking 5oz of hops, not 15. I've been doing a ton of research, I am putting a recipe together, think I'll have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to do a first wort hop as well with this batch.

Bad_Horse_Brews said:
I was thinking 5oz of hops, not 15. I've been doing a ton of research, I am putting a recipe together, think I'll have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to do a first wort hop as well with this batch.

Word.

So, two things... One, I am a huge fan of the iPhone app Brew Pal. That said, I have spent most of the day researching and modifying this recipe and I've come up with the attached. Knowledgable brewers, feedback and opinions welcome.

Here is the recipe, turns out that file isn't just a text document:

Deception IPA

5 gallons
All Grain
1.070~OG→1.017~FG→7.0%ABV 72 IBU 8.7°L SRM
Yeasts
1.35 ounces
WLP060 - American Ale Blend
White Labs (Ale) 1.35 ounces

Fermentables
13.25 pounds
2 Row Base
36ppg, 2°L 10 pounds
75%
Vienna
34ppg, 4°L 1 pound
8%
Honey
29ppg, 20°L 12 ounces
6%
Carafoam
32ppg, 2°L 8 ounces
4%
Crystal 60L
33ppg, 60°L 8 ounces
4%
Oats (Flaked)
31ppg, 2°L 8 ounces
4%

Hops
7 ounces
Cascade
6%, Pellet 3 ounces
43%
Goldings (Kent)
5%, Pellet 2 ounces
29%
Centennial
10%, Pellet 1 ounce
14%
Crystal
3%, Pellet 1 ounce
14%

Miscellaneous
(null)

Extract
1 hour, 3.5 gallons
Steep 3.5 gallons
150°F

Crystal
First Wort Hop 1 ounce

Boil
1 hour, 5.78 gallons

Cascade hops
6%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)

Cascade hops
6%, Pellet 2 ounces
30 minutes (+30)

Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Pellet 2 ounces
30 minutes (+30)

Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 1 ounce
0 minutes (+60)

Ferment
7 days @ 67°F, 14 days @ 67°F
Rack to secondary (67°F) 14 days (+7 days)

View attachment Deception IPA.xml

For me, 1.017 is nowhere near dry enough for an IPA. I'd consider dropping the Honey, CaraFoam, and/or C60. Also, mash low (148F) to try to get the beer to finish closer to 1.010. Cheers!

I am in fact thinking of holding the C60 back, or maybe decreasing both the carafoam and C60 in equal amounts. Picked everything up today and planning on brewing tomorrow.

Well. I decided to go on with the recipe as I drew it up, simply for the sake of having a starting point. Brewed it this morning, it's in the primary now.
Mashed at right about 148 the whole time. Ended up putting the Centennial in at 5 minutes before flameout and let it sit about 10 minutes after flameout before I started chilling.

Can't wait to have a taste come bottling in three weeks. I am seriously keeping the holding off of the C60 in mind for the next batch, but I wanted to see how this comes out. There was so much hops to strain out putting it into the primary, but I think it's going to come out awesome. We shall see...

Bad_Horse_Brews said:
Bottling this brew on Saturday, looking forward to grabbing a taste of it....

Please do let us know the details- flavor, aroma, FG, etc. Cheers!

If you've had the "Lagunita's Sucks Brown Shugga Imitation" ipa, it's pretty damn close to that...

Reminder, this was a quick bottling sample, no final opinion until I crack a bottle open and really get a feel for it, that said:

Whoa. Strong aromas up front, good full-bodied hops flavors upon first taste, it kinda builds up and then totally subsides, I'd rate the bitterness (1-10) at the end a 1.5. It came out exactly how I wanted. Very good and really looking forward to this thing carbin' up. Will update upon first real drinking....

Back