Looking for feedback on my first Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMT

Reaction score
I've been wanting to put together a malty, rich, grainy and complex brown ale for some time. This is the recipe I have come up with. What do you guys think?

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 38.1 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 28.6 %
1 lbs Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) 9.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 4.8 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 4.8 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 9.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.8 %

1.5 litre starter Denny's Favourite

0.30 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 8.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.9 IBUs

Mash at 154 for an hour, ferment at 60 degrees

Estimated OG: 1.048
IBUs: 26.1
SRM: 22.1

Interesting grain bill... Should impart some nutty, dark fruit flavors. Dont know if you need the carapils. Good yeast choice as well. I think Denny's works well in brown ales and milds. I personally would go with noble hops for more of an earthy, spicy character and save the citrusy american hops for a pale, but that's just me.

I was on the fence about the carapils myself actually. It was more so to ensure a nice rocky head, but the other crystal malts and higher mash temp should help as well. As for the hops, I don't have much on hand. I do have an ounce of northern brewer and an ounce of hallertau that I could use.

Maybe use the northern brewer as FWH and the hallertau at 5 minutes?

To me, it looks like its a lot of coffe malt, I would maybe break that into chocolate malt/coffee malt 50/50?

Im still new at this, but I find the coffee/chocolate malt combo is a good way to round a dark ale off.

Back