Will this make for a good sweet stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Night Cap Cherry Stout We recommend brewing this batch once a year to have around for special occasions. Even light beer drinkers can appreciate a mug of this stout. The smooth sweet flavor will put you to bed like a glass of warm milk. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of dark malt extract, Pure Cherry extract, Crystal malt, Roasted malt, Chocolate malt, Fuggle bittering hops, Williamette aroma hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Night Cap Cherry Stout w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Also, I am going to start with this kit....

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=520&fd=1

And I will pick up 2 cases of 12 oz bottles. This should be all I need right? I want to make a sweet, smooth dark lager.

Sweet stouts almost always have some lactose (milk sugar) in them and I don't see any listed. Otherwise the listing sounds good, but stouts are not lagers, so I'm assuming you actually meant "sweet, smooth dark beer". The yeasts are different, as is the fermentation process. I would purchase a half pound of lactose to have handy for adjusting the sweetness before bottling.

Go with the Better Bottle kit. It gives you the option of drilling it and adding a spigot later. It is also lighter than glass. You might end up with a little extra ale after bottling. Some people like to put the extra in a soda bottle and use it to gauge the corbonation process.

No, just a beginner:mug: If you used a lager yeast, you would get a dark lager, but it would take months. One of the unspoken reasons homebrewers perfer ales to lagers is time. You wouldn't believe what I started with!

david_42 said:
One of the unspoken reasons homebrewers perfer ales to lagers is time. You wouldn't believe what I started with!

That's unspoken? Do a search for "impatient" and see all the posts about not being able to wait.

The other problem with lagers is the temperature restrictions. It's difficult to find a place to put them that will stay in the 60-70º range for months at a time.

Amazingly, Budweiser can create a lager and ship it out within 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back