From secondary to thirdary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
I have a pomegranate melomel that has been in a secondary since September. It is clearing nicely however, would it be a good idea to re-rack this to another carboy for the long voyage. The OG was 1.135 and my last reading was 1.018. I used 28 grams of champane yeast at the onset and alas seems to be at its end game. I will be leaving it in a carboy for at least another year before bottling and would like some advice for a longer storage in this state.

Thanks!

If you think it is still dropping sediment, then I would leave it a little longer (few more weeks? months?) check sg a couple more times. If stable rack, add some sulfite and let her ride. With that high of an OG it will probably still ferment very slowly for a long time unless you stabilize.

I checked the SG and it is still at 1.018 and has not moved for over a month. It is still a little to sweet. Is there anything I can do to lower the SG, add a large amount of another yeast, some nutrient, oxygen. Or just leave it alone and adjust the recipe next time? (Its a five gallon batch)

Back