tannin conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
My recipes that include tannin are all for liquid tannin but I want to convert to the powdered type. Is there an easy way to convert the quantity equivalent?

My dry tannin package says, "Use per recipe directions, max dosage 1/2 tsp per gallon."

What is one of your recipes you are looking at? Maybe one of us has a simular recipe with dry tannin to give you an idea of how much.

I'm currently making plum wine and I've always used 4 tsp. liquid tannin. It's good that way. (I want to switch to dry tannin as my liquid keeps going moldy.) My liquid and dry both are made by Spagnols. I emailed them and they said that they use 315 grams of dry in 1 liter of water to make their liquid. Sounds good but I have no idea, and can't find out, how many tsp. are in 315 g.

Personally i dont even mess with the tannin in plum wine, i like the fruit to shine. A lot of tannin powder is made from oak. So you could just add some oak to it if you are going for that sort of thing

Interesting comment on not adding tannin to plum wine. I've just always obediently added it 'cause that's what the recipe said to do. I'll try it without it.

You can also get some tannins from the skins, and seeds, but be careful how long you macerate. I added hot water to the skins and seeds, to try and pull out more sugar before i pressed them, and found out that it just pulled out a lot of tannin.

I'm really nervous about working with the pits. The first time I did this (in my youth) it imparted a bitter taste...

Back