Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Honey Wildflower Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinosr

Reaction score
Yeast
Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch)
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9d @ 67F
Tasting Notes
Slightly hoppy, balanced fruity and floral notes, light body, strong floral finish.
Here's my first recipe contribution to the forum. This is probably the best beer I've brewed to date.

I really love the frutiness of Wyeast 2565, and I fermented it hot to bring this aspect out, but you can ferment lower or substitute an American ale yeast if you want a cleaner flavor.

The hops are such a mish-mash because I was trying to use up what I had around, but it worked well. The one thing I would change about this beer is to reduce the aroma hops so that the floral adjuncts came through even more, but they're good if you prefer a more blended nose.

After 9 days, when I bottled it, I thought for sure that I had ruined the beer with too much chamomile, as the nose was overpowering. After a month of aging, though, it has thoroughly mellowed and the chamomile has given way to the clover and hops. The honey aroma is definitely there in the finish, and it gives the ABV a good kick while keeping the body light and refreshing.

Be sure to recalculate for your efficiency to attain somewhere around 1.060. My system has fairly poor efficiency.

Credit is due to passedpawn for providing a rough template for this recipe.

Richard's Wildflower and Honey Wheat:

7# Pale 2-Row
4# Wheat
2# Clover honey @ flameout

3/4 oz Cluster @ 60m
4/5 oz Cascade @ 60m
1/2 oz Cascade @ 5m
1/4 oz Mt. Hood @ 5m

1/2 oz dry German chamomile @ 5m
1/2 oz dry red clover @ 5m

Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch)

Single infusion mash @ 154F, batch sparge, 60m boil. Ferment 9d at 67F.

I'm not a good photographer, but here you go.

2013-09-30 18.25.jpg

Back