How Many Uses From a Brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're using natural bristle paint brushes to apply wax to cheese. I could see being able to do a few wheels back to back, but are yall able to save brushes from one use to the next? Not us.

Even trying comb it out with a fork and wash it out in hot water, there's so much wax left over in the brush, it's so stiff, we just toss it. They aren't expensive and it's not like we're buying one everyday. Just wondering.

We've also one of those rubber BBQ sauce brushes that we're going to try. Or have you and wound up tossing it too? Would the wax melt that brush?

I used a silicone brush from the kitchen drawer. I planned on making it the permanent cheese brush right from the start.

When I'm done waxing my cheese (that never gets old) I leave the brush in the wax, in the small pan, and let it cool. Then I place the whole pan in a gallon sized plastic baggie and put it on the shelf in the closet until next time.

When I need to wax my cheese again (snicker...) I just pull the pan out, place it inside the other pan with water and start melting the wax.

The nice thing about this silicone brush is that the handle pulls right out of the bristle end, so it becomes pretty compact. After cooling the wax I pull out the handle and right before I melt the wax again I push it back in.

Back