Wyeast Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcgpete

Reaction score
So I won a free smack pack from Wyeast for getting best in class at a recent competition. The problem is that I rinse my yeast, so I have about 5 batches each worth of American Ale II, London Ale III, Belgian Abbey, and a wild brett that I caught in my back yard. These 3 pretty much cover everything I brew. And it's plenty of yeast to last me another year.

My coupon expires at the end of the year. So I'm looking for a crazy yeast strain from Wyeast that is absolutely different from the 4 I mentioned. Plus maybe an example of what you would brew with it.

Thanks!:mug:

Get their Sake #9. It produces some interesting flavors at all temp ranges. Attenuates well, but in my experience doesn't go bone dry. Just because it says sake doesn't mean you have to use it for that.

You could get a saison, kolsch, or lager strain. The saison strain I'd go with is 3724(Dupont strain).

+1 but I'm a fan of the 3711 myself.

3711 seems like an excellent yeast. Made a Hefe/Wit/Saison hybrid with 3711 and it was awesome. Good attenuator, and you can vary the ester level from fairly clean to moderately funky depending on your fermentation temperature. I will definitely be brewing with this strain again.

Back