Hand blender to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it would work.I have never done anything other than oxygen injection or manual aeration but this seems like it would stir it up pretty well and add some oxygen to it.

I use my immersion blender that looks exactly like the one you linked. After dunking it in starsan, I use it once the temperature of the wort is below 80F (to minimize HSA, if that's real). I just run it around on the surface of the cooling wort while it's in the brew pot and in the ice bath that I use (no chiller yet). It generates loads of foam quickly and seems to stir up the wort pretty well. I can't say whether this makes much of a difference, however. I've done it a few times now, but I've also started using starters. My understanding is that the O2 is primarily used by the yeast during the multiplication phase, and so pitching a lot of yeast (by using a starter) decreases the need to oxygenate. Anyway, I haven't run into any problems either, so I'll keep doing it for the time being.

Back