Wyeast Nutrient - First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headfullahops

Reaction score
I just kegged my first brew that I made with Wyeast Yeast nutrient and I have to say "I'm impressed!" I brewed an APA recipe of mine on August 3rd with an OG of 13˚P (1.053 SG) that I pitched my usual 1600ml starter of 1098 British Ale into (1600ml water, 160g DME, stir-plate for 10 hours, chill for 3-4 hours, decant, pitch). This thing took off like a rocket in a matter of 4-6 hours and kept pace for about 48 hours, spewing kreusen through the airlock and all down the carboy. After about 4 days it had settled down and the yeast dropped like a rock. I just kegged it and took measurements on it this afternoon - 6.3˚P (1.009 SG) finishing gravity. That's an 83% apparent attenuation for 5.7% ABV. With this recipe, I normally end up at 78-80% apparent attenuation and 5.4% ABV. This brew is tasty, too; even though its flat and cellar temp. She'll be a beaut' when she's carb'd and cold!

Anyone here have any experience with this product that they'd like to share?
:mug:Cheers!

I used it for the first time in my currently fermenting batch. Ive actually been pretty disappointed with it so far but I think it's my fault. I forgot to add it with the boil so I tried boiling it in a cup of water and pitching it with the yeast. I was really hoping for a quick and complete fermentation due to a 1.078 OG but its been slow and i doubt ill hit the 75% mark. Lets hope I can get your great results next time!!

I use it in both starters and in the boil. Seems to work good don't really notice a difference from other yeast nutrients but I think it supposed to have a little bit of zinc so I thought it could take the place of servomyces.

Back