Rapahannock Red Ale - recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiii

Reaction score
Hello - I'm going to brew a red this weekend. Got the recipe out of the "clone recipes for US Beers" book, and I plan to do the all extract alternate method. New at this and having a hard time deciphering the all-extract recipe instructions.

Base recipe says:
1) Heat 2 gal. water to 164
2) Crush grains, then add to liquor and steep at 152 for 90 minutes. Sparge with 2 3/4 gal. water at 168.
3) Add to runnings: 2 lb pale DME
4) Bring to a boil, then add hops..............etc.

All extract alternate method says:
1) Steep grains in 2 1/2 gal water at 150 for 45 minutes.
2) Increase DME to 4 lb DME
3) Follow instructions from beginning of boil

Here's where I need help.
a) Do I just skip step 2 in the base recipe (steep at 152 for 90 min., sparge with 2 3/4 gal. water at 168)? Alternate method does not indicate to do it (but doesn't say not to).
b) Is the total DME required for the recipe 4 lbs (variation says increase DME TO 4 lbs, so that's how I'm reading it...........4lbs total, not 4 +2 = 6lbs)

I'm relatively new at this and don't want to screw it up. If anyone has this recipe book (recipe is on page 130)or has done this one and can comment, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Bill

I don't have that book, but it looks like Alternate Step 1 replaces Basic Steps 1 and 2.

Just steep the grains at 150, add the DME and proceed.

Thanks. I've convinced myself on that, but appreciate the 2nd opinion.

What about the DME? Looks to me like it's 4 lbs total, since it's worded "Increase DME to 4 lb"....................base recipe calls for 2 lbs.

In the book, I am fairly certain they assume you get full conversion of starches to sugars using the extract + steeping method, as they say to hold at 150F for 45 minutes. So you'll want to make sure your temps stay fairly constant for the 45 minutes, or your anticipated original gravity may be lower than expected. You may also want to rinse the grains with 170F water after the 45 minutes is up to extract more of the sugars.

Otherwise, you can always replace the pale ale malt and malted wheat with more pale DME and some wheat DME.

Back