Carboy Bung Stuck Halfway Down Neck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All -

So when I was putting in the carboy bung with blow off tube in it into the carboy top... It was still a little slick with sanstar.... And slipped so that the TOP of the rubber (solid) bung is about 1/4 of an inch UNDER the top edge of the carboy top. In short, I have nothing to grab onto.

How can I get it out?

The tube is already in the hole? Once the tube dries out after a few days, I bet you'll be able to pop it out by grabbing the tube, no problem.

Just tried the "use the tube thats in it" but that is not working.
Hope to not have to use a corkscrew... but good idea if it comes to it.

I pushed one all the way in one time - just fashion a coat hanger to pluck it out.

Maybe slide something through the hole in the bung that could be used like a hook to pull it out?? I am thinking like bending a wire coat hanger or something, but that may not be sturdy enough.

Could you thread a bolt down into the hole, one that would have a wide enough diameter that it would grip the inside of the hole without scoring it badly, and work it out using that?

Use a short nail on a string. Drop it straight thru the hole, then pull up. The string would have to be secured in the middle of the nail for this to work, of course.

Thanks a lot. This happened to me for the first time this afternoon. I ended up using a screwdriver to get out the bung [am I allowed to say that here?], but as soon as it happened, I thought, "Dang. There was a thread on this here, and I didn't read it."

Back