supplementing kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
A few kits I have brewed recetly do not have much alcohal and are a tad thin.

Recently I have been brewing these with additional fermentables like grain mashes and more DME.

I assume this is a common practice; right?

Well, maybe. But the brewers I know make their own recipes when they don't like the kits, and just buy what they need to make a good beer instead of "doctoring" an inadequate kit.

There are some great kits out there- austinhomebrew.com for one has hundreds and hundreds of them. You can buy a "clone kit" of just about any commercial beer you could think of, as well as any basic style kit. These ingredient kits are well made with fresh ingredients (no prehopped canned LME junk), fresh grains, fresh yeast, etc, so there is no need to mess around with fixing them up.

If you're not liking the kits you've had in the past, you could always try a good quality kit. Sometimes adding more DME is ok, but usually it'll "unbalance" the flavors in a recipe. Unless you're adding more hops to balance the extra fermentables, just adding DME and/or grain may not be much of an improvement.

Well, maybe. But the brewers I know make their own recipes when they don't like the kits, and just buy what they need to make a good beer instead of "doctoring" an inadequate kit.

There are some great kits out there- austinhomebrew.com for one has hundreds and hundreds of them. You can buy a "clone kit" of just about any commercial beer you could think of, as well as any basic style kit. These ingredient kits are well made with fresh ingredients (no prehopped canned LME junk), fresh grains, fresh yeast, etc, so there is no need to mess around with fixing them up.

If you're not liking the kits you've had in the past, you could always try a good quality kit. Sometimes adding more DME is ok, but usually it'll "unbalance" the flavors in a recipe. Unless you're adding more hops to balance the extra fermentables, just adding DME and/or grain may not be much of an improvement.
Yooper is that a grand child I see in your Avater? Congratulations.

i mostly buy the light ale kit from 3b and sub in what ever i want. basicly using it as a base kit. at $22.55 its hard to go wrong :mug:

"Supplementing kits" is a great way to get started making your own recipes, experiencing what 'x' ingredient will do to your bier. Also by making an extract kit into a partial-mash kit you get experience with all grain brewing with out the possible headache of low efficiency etc. as you have all that extract to fall back on.

My suggestion is to plug in the kit ingredients in to brewing software & see where you might want to add this or that. I began like this by simply adding 1-2lbs base malt, some wheat/flaked wheat for head, perhaps a few oz. victory or some such for character, and maybe adjusting the hop profile with extra additions.

Schlante,
Phillip

A bit of shameless self promotion, but if you want to start messing with the make up of a recipe every recipe on our website can be changed within the Brew Builder. You can start by picking a style and then choose an extract recipe and customize it with the Brew Builder. You can add, change or remove anything within the recipe.

Thanks,

Ed

Back