American Pale Ale Montmorenci APA (BIAB/No-Chill)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastquake

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
11 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68 degrees F
Tasting Notes
Soft bitterness, pleasing fruit and citrus aroma, slightly grassy.
Grain Bill

6.5# 2-row
1# C-40
0.75# toasted red wheat malt (350 degrees for 45 min)
0.5# unmalted rye (use flaked rye if unavailable)
0.5# unmalted red wheat

I used 5.5 gallons of well water to mash
BIAB mash at 155 F for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 min\
Did not mash out on this one, that probably killed my efficiency

Hop Schedule

All homegrown hops, AA% unknown

Cascade 0.5 oz 80 min Boil Leaf
Nugget 0.39 oz 20 min Boil Leaf
Cascade 0.75 oz 15 min Boil Leaf
Cascade 0.75 oz 10 min Boil Leaf
Nugget 0.39 oz 7 min Boil Leaf
Cascade 1.0 oz 6 min Boil Leaf
Cascade 1.25 oz 5 min Boil Leaf

Drained all the wort I could get out of the kettle (4.75 gallons) into HDPE fermenter bucket, set the bucket in an ice bath and pitched the next day.

Notes

This was meant to be bigger but turned out to be my favorite APA so far, so I figured I would share (bear in mind, my homegrown hops are not as high alpha as commercial averages, so adjust accordingly). It is named the Montmorenci APA because I grew the hops in my yard which is in Montmorenci, SC in the sticks outside of Aiken, SC. My mash efficiency for this one was about 65% so adjust the base malt amount according to your efficiency. It was supposed to be 5 gallons but I lost a lot of wort to the huge mass of whole hops.

The 39 IBU is really an estimate, brewtoad.com gave me 49 IBU but I don't believe it's that high

Soft bitterness, pleasing fruit and citrus aroma, slightly grassy. Malt is present but not too much caramel. I did not use any finings so the haze may be proteins or hop haze, personally, I don't care about haze. Add Irish moss or your fining of choice if you want it to clear.

Latest posts

Back