Bottles Fizzing Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstamm

Reaction score
All my bottles have recently started "over carbonating" or are really fizzy when I uncao them. They all started this at once..or so it seems. The weather has turned cold in the last few week and the temperature of the basement where the bottles are stored has dropped about 5-10 degrees. Would this account for the excessive foaming?

Your limited info still leaves multiple possibilities. Could be that they are just getting done carbonating from the priming sugar that you put into the batch. Could be an infection kicking in.

Depends on how long they have been bottled, how much priming sugar you used, how much bacteria you introduced in the latter stages of fermentation and bottling, and how long you refrigerated prior to opening.

I will say that bottles "gushing," that is foaming over the top of the bottle upon opening, tends to indicate an infection. OTOH, beers that foam excessively while pouring but have little apparent internal carbonation tend to indicate too short of a time in the fridge. OTOOH, beers with too much priming sugar (more then 5 oz per 5 gallon) can just turn out plain overcarbonated.

Your beer should spend a minimum of 3 weeks at 70 degrees in the bottle to fully carb and then at least 24 hours in the fridge to dissolve the CO2 into the beer. Moving it to a colder storage area would not have the effect you mention.

Back