replacing spigot on kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjotmo

Reaction score
I have 2 turkey fryer kettles I use that have spigots on them and I was thinking that a ball valve would really be useful. Has anyone switched these out successfully? It doesnt look threaded on and I don't want to ruin them.

I was thinking about doing this too, but can't figure out how they put the spigot on there. Almost looks rivoted.

My fryer kettle came with the spigot that looks like a little faucet and I was able to swap it out. The inside drain hole was actually hex shaped to fit an allen wrench; although if I recall correctly, I was able to just hold the inside part with my thumb and unscrewed the spigot. The hole was already the proper size for a 1/2" ball valve as well.

Jbear said:
My fryer kettle came with the spigot that looks like a little faucet and I was able to swap it out. The inside drain hole was actually hex shaped to fit an allen wrench; although if I recall correctly, I was able to just hold the inside part with my thumb and unscrewed the spigot. The hole was already the proper size for a 1/2" ball valve as well.

Do you have pics? What did you use for o rings?

I used a standard weldless bulkhead like this one, the o-ring is included:
Weldless 2-Pc SS Ball Valve

The original spigot was kind of high, but with a pick up tube I can siphon all but a few ounces out. I'll take a picture of the set-up and post it later or in the morning.

Do you have pics? What did you use for o rings?

The faucet type valve with the allen wrench fit inside has a silicone gasket on it. I went cheap and used brass fittings and ball valve, re used the gasket and aluminum washer along with a s/s washers for backing/ spacers. You need a male 1/2" brass PIPE to flare or compression on the inside, the aluminum washer goes against the pot with the steel washer backing it. Thread that into a connector backed with the gasket and washer outside. Thread a two inch nipple into the connector and the valve on that. Dip tube is connected to the flare or compression end of the fitting & can be removed for a straight shot cleaning. Sorry no pics here, buts it pretty simple. The fitting and connector don't need much shimming, and tighten it snug, use teflon tape no leaks. Any hardware or menards has what you need at around $15-20for all the parts. Cheers:tank:

I will, but it will be awhile before I start it. I'm currently working on painting and converting a fridge into a keggerator.

Back