Stupid ??? re: stuck fermenting bucket lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
I know, this is stupid, but, I put the lid on too well last Sunday, and now I can't get it off. Is it OK to just wail on it with a hammer & screw driver? I thought I saw a lid opening tool somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Yours in stupdity, Eddie

lift some weights then try again:D But seriously they can be a pain, but you should be able to get it off with your hands.

Thats what she said

I wouldn't use a screwdriver and hammer, as that's very likely to leave permanent scratch marks and other indentations, which will end up harboring infections later on.

I initially thought mine was stuck on as well the first time I used a bucket instead of a carboy. What I find works well for removing the lids that seem tighter than normal is to very carefully pry in just one spot using my fingers with all my force. I will put my left hand on the side of the bucket, and the right tightly gripping under the rim, and push/pull as hard as I can. That is usually enough to get it started. Once I'm able to get the lid moving just a little, it's just a matter of working at it for a bit to get it off.

I get P'd off sometimes when as I move around the bucket releasing it from the bucket the other side I already got off is sealing back on again because of the pressure I am putting on the opposite side.

On some bucket lids there are places every few (4-5) inches to cut which makes removal easier. If you haven't cut them it makes removal harder.

I found a technique that really works! You take out the airlock, and put your need really hard in the middle of the bucket lid. Then, peel up the side across from you while you push with your knee. It comes off much easier that way.

As a last resort..... heat the lid up to soften it some. Heat gun or hair dryer.

Some brands of buckets are stiffer than others. The morebeer bucket lids are very easy to remove.

Sit down so you are just above the bucket. Put both your elbows on the lid nearest you. Grab under the opposite side of the lid and pull up slowly on a tab with each hand until it stays up. Move slowly around the bucket tab by tab. You won't have a problem if:
A) you have removed the plastic zip from the bottom edge of the lid
B) cut the tabs apart if it is not the zip type.
C) you don't push down with your elbows as you go around.

This would be much easier to do in person...
I have opened hunderds of mayo and pickle buckets this way.

Then go to your LHBS and get a glass carboy.

Instead of buying a plastic tool, I found that the handle of the plastic mallet I use to pound tent stakes was the right size to push between the rim of the lid and the ridge which protrudes about three-quarters of an inch below. By working this all the way around and using a little leverage on the mallet end, I was able to pry the lid off easily. I suspect that a wooden broomstick or other similar sized object would work just as well.

This was the bucket from the Brewer's Best kit by the way.

I'm hoping Eddie managed to get that lid off before now. Otherwise, he just might be looking at the possibility of yeast autolysis on this one!!!

Thanks for the reminder Shooter, I'd better go down to basement and see if I can get that thing open!!!:)

JK, all is well with the opening of the buckets. :mug:

Go Broncows

Back