Will the sweetness mellow out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
Just bottled last night an extra IPA. The kit was described as a cross between Bells Hopslam and Maharaja. It was supposed to be around 9%ABV, but ended up being 10.5%, the only thing I did different from the recipe was I was instead of adding "2lbs of corn sugar late addition (0 min)" - I forgot and added it when the wort was cooling, prob around 120 degrees. Had a nice strong hop flavor up front, VERY sweet, and ended with a nice hop that lingered. This would be a great beer if the sweetness mellows out. Someone please tell me it will, please.

*I also used 3/4 cup sugar (boiled in 2 cups water) to prime.

Maybe. IIPAs do tend to have a sweeter finish than IPAs. Carbonation adds a carbonic acid "bite" that can help counteract any sweetness.

Usually, if a beer is a bit sweet it means it is underhopped, or at least the bittering addition was inadequate. Conditioning won't fix that, but can make the perception of the beer less sweet.

good ffor you. carbination often changes the way we percieve beer. Usually sweetness doesnt mellow out. An og that high likely will end up sweeter, just cant ferment all that good ness. at 1.1018 that sounds like it has doen a lot fo work and dont think you could get much more out of yeast.

Back