Some recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
Tried this in the Recipe forum, but no luck. Maybe it's too difficult to respond to, but still, thought I'd try again. Especially interested in any other hop suggestions...Thanks.

I made a pretty good IIPA - but it was MB sized and used a can of Cowboy Lager.

Below is the recipe modified for 5 gallons, but without the MB hop and malt info. Extract brewing. I'd be interested in any suggestions for specialty grains to maybe adjust for what the Cowboy had (or suggestions in general).

Also - though it was dang good, I wouldn't have minded more citrus/fruit notes in the final product. Any other hop suggestions are appreciated - particular if they might add these flavors.

Aiming for a high 7-8% abv and certainly IBUs 100+. Will obviously up the DME and probably will use S-o5 again. Thanks.

Brewer: MysteryRed
Style: Imperial IPA
Batch: 5.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.063 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 100 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.016
Alcohol by Volume: 6.1%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Light D.M.E. 7.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Cascade 0.60 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Cascade 1.20 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Cascade 0.60 oz, Pellet, 7 minutes
Centennial 0.60 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Centennial 0.60 oz, Pellet, 7 minutes
Centennial 0.60 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Centennial 0.60 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Chinook 1.20 oz, Pellet, 25 minutes
Chinook 0.60 oz, Pellet, 50 minutes
Warrior 0.60 oz, Pellet, 50 minutes

Ale yeast 2.00 unit, Yeast,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Last Cascades are dry hopped

So, the beer is the excuse for the hops?

Just a little bit of specialty grain will help the complexity of the flavor. Even steeping some 2-row or 10L will do something. I would encourage you to give it a try, it's not that difficult and it does make a difference in the final product.

Then again, with 100 IBUs, maybe you can't taste anything else. ;)

(You hopheads are incurable, you know.)

Yes, I admit I'm a hophead. But, I do appreciate many other styles.

Definitely want to steep something here to add to complexity. This was my first DME/self hopped batch. I've since steeped, gone to 5 gallons, late addition, etc. (Next step probably partial, then full mash). Appreciate the suggestion.

Now, anyone for citrus/fruit flavored hop addition suggestions?

Latest posts

Back