need ideas for oatmeal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
Well we had a moth infestation. Decided to bomb the house and throw out any potential overrun food products. But my wife had a lot of oatmeal left over from a recent cookie baking session. No visable signs of moth tomfoolery in the oatmeal but playing it safe and getting rid of it.

BUT....it's like five freaking pounds of oatmeal. That's quite a waste. Was looking around for recipes for rolled oats and everything I saw just had it as a bit part ingredient.

Sooooo....anyone have ideas? Want Oatmeal as the primary ingredient. Not looking to make anything award winning or even brag worthy, but I do want something that is drinkable and preferably low effort/cost as I'm new to this and complicated hop schedules are very intimidating at this point.

I appreciate any and all advice.

Forgot to mention I've got a all-grain setup, although I'd assume you'd assume that...since I'm asking about oats :p

One thing Yooper mentioned in another thread was -"You want to toast them at 300F until they are lightly browned and giving off "oatmeal cookie" aroma."

Anyone every try to turn brown sugar into a simple syrup and throw that in for flavor towards the end? Oatmeal cookie beer sounds like a good holiday idea hehe.

Moar cookies? A 10-gallon batch of oatmeal stout can probably take care of a couple pounds.

Certainly not a primary ingredient in beer.

There are some historical recipes which use oat malt as the major grist ingredient, but non-mashed oats aren't easy to use. They're full of fats and oils and stuff which, when used in relatively small proportions, add a lovely silky character to the beer. Used much beyond 20% and they'll present significant difficulties with lautering, not to mention the beer will be a cloudy, oily mess that won't taste very nice at all.

It's a shame, but ... check with your local homebrew club. Maybe you can rid yourself of it in smaller proportions.

Cheers,

Bob

I've seen someone use toasted oats in a stout. You are supposed to let them sit for a few days to release some noxious flavors I hear.

I've also seen someone caramelize sugar in a pan and add it to beer. I suggest being careful with the amount, since it can impart a significant amount of molasses flavor I think.

Back