Wintering in Containers/Container Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetBrew

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster, long time reader.

I've got a first year Nugget in a 5 gal bucket (btw, use something bigger if you're doing hops in containers post-first year, mine seemed to crap out/become root bound at like 9 feet tall or so) that I am wondering what to do with about the coming winter...

I've got space in the basement for it, no problem, but without frost, won't the thing try to sprout again?

How cold should it get before I worry about taking it in? Planting it in the ground is not an option at this point. I'm in the Boston area, it gets cold for a long time here. Had frost last night, actually.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, next year, the thing's going in a half whiskey barrel. 5 gal buckets are good for 1st year root development, it seems, but I'll never get a good yield from a container that size.

Thanks,
Alex

Leave it outside. In most of the hop growing areas in the US the ground freezes in the winter.

I've overwintered hops in pots with no problems. I put the pot up next to the house to shelter it a little. Try to not do this on a North facing wall. South or East would be best. Most winter nights here are in the mid 20's, but we get a few days down to the low teens and a couple per year down to 0 or just below and my plants were fine.

Latest posts

Back