Some advice on when to replant cuttings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
So the government was nice enough to give me some cuttings in early August. I stuck them in water for a couple of weeks, followed by potting soil and fertilizer for the past couple weeks. They are potted indoors in front of a window. So far about half of them are showing positive signs of bine growth and/or root growth. I plan to leave them indoors or at least several weeks, especially since my outdoor hops are still getting chewed on by locusts.

However, I'm not sure what to do as fall approaches. Should I keep the plants indoors and plant them in the spring or should I cut down the green vegetation and plant the roots over the winter to store up energy for the spring? In Dallas it stays in the 70s into October or November so I figure it's not a different environment outdoors than indoors.

I feel like if I keep them indoors they will stay too warm and just keep growing and growing over the winter. It seems to me the plants need downtime during the winter to soak up water and get fueled up for spring.

My two cent opinion is hops always do better out than in. It must be awhile before you get a killing frost down there - just give em a little blanket of mulch for insurance.

Back