This rope work well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
image-955909764.jpg

Nylon climbing rope okay for hops?

It might be ok.. you need some good twine that's "hairy" so the rough texture of the bines can grab onto

It would be a waste to use good rope IMO. With twine, you can cut it down at the end of the year and restring more next year. I'm using 12+ year old twine that was made into square bales when my parents still had cows. You can't beat recycled and free.

If you can find a box of sissel rope it works really well and is cheap!

Landscapers and nurserymen use it to tie up plants and ball up plant material.

Sisal, or even better, Coir. The latter seems near indestructible, I'm on my third season and for sure I'll get at least a fourth out of my drops...

Cheers!

I use your standard jute twine for my first years, laced two ropes together now that the buds are showing, the 4 plants weigh around 60 pounds and have broken the twine twice. That looks like the cheapo rope you get from harbor freight, I'll probably be using that next year, wouldn't recommend the cheap 8 pound breaking strength twine you pick up at ace. It's not to fun 10 feet up in on a ladder balancing plants, tying knots, and trying to figure out how to make you rope stronger when it's to late. Next year I'm going with something that on the overkill side of things.

I have only a 6ft section going from the ground to my clothes line and that lets the clothes line handle most of the weight. I did have to wrap the twine I used around the clothes line since the hops cldnt grasp the slick surface.

ForumRunner_20130729_135400.jpg

It will get you through a season. I used that stuff because it was really cheap, on sale at Menards. The hops did not care about its texture, and climbed right up it. I would advise against trying to keep it for next year. I left it up during the winter. By the second season it was getting frayed where it was tied to my deck railing (2x6s). I had one break from the weight of the bine that second year. I got what I paid for.

Back