what does wyeast 2206 starter smell like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
What does a starter of 2206 (bavarian lager) usually smell like? Mine smelled sulfury and sour. I tasted it and it tasted sour. Trying to figure out of it's infected.

I'm brewing a doppelbock this Saturday, so I'm in the process of making a huge starter. I started with a 2206 activator and pitched into a 2L starter of about 1.055. I put the wort on my stir plate to get it good and aerated before pitching. I did this Tuesday night, and let it stir and do it's thing until last night, then I put it in the fridge to drop the yeast out of suspension. It apparently got too cold, because about half of it turned to slush. But, I figured it wouldn't matter that much since I planned on stepping up the starter. I left it in the fridge until this afternoon at about 4PM, when I put it out on my kitchen table.

Tonight, I stepped up the starter. Made a 4L batch of wort, decanted the beer off the starter, and pitched the 4L of wort onto the slurry. Even though it tasted sour, I pitched it anyway because I couldn't see any growths, and the yeast looked like it multiplied well and it looked healthy.

Thoughts? If the next starter smells ok should I use it on Saturday?

I've never used 2206 before, but sour tasting is usually a bad thing (unless you're brewing a sour.) Sulfur, however, is a common smell associated with a few different strains. When in doubt, throw it out. Better to get another pack of yeast than waste 5 gallons of beer!

That's true, sour is usually lactobacillus. But, I read that yeast autolysis can cause a sour vinegar like taste. I did freeze half of the first starter. The step up starter smells fine and has a nice looking krausen on it

I used 2206 for Munich Helles, Vienna Lager and now fermenting maibock on yeast cake, never smelled sour for sure, gives a lot of sulphur during ferment though

Back