Solid state fermenter chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaklite

Reaction score
I'm just now getting into home mead making, but I recently realized that my summer basement temperature of 72-74F is too warm for proper fermentation. So I set out to use what I had around the house to make a chiller for my fermenter.

I am a fairly accomplished DIY computer builder so I had a lot of spare parts left over from these activities. What I ended up creating was a liquid cooled jacket that I can wrap around a 5 gallon fermenter / carboy. The device uses a solid state peltier device, an air-cooled CPU cooler and a water-cooled CPU cooler. It circulates cold water through the insulated jacket, pulling heat from the fermenter.

It's not a particularly powerful device at only 120W, but it cooled my 72 degree must to 66 degrees in a few hours. This device could also be modified for higher wattages or even to circulate water through chiller pipes inside the fermenter. My goal here was to create a device that required no cleaning (does not come in contact with the must) and could be quickly deployed on any fermenter / carboy. In order to achieve these goals, the device's efficiency is reduced significantly...so there's definitely a trade-off.

The total cost of this device for me was about $20, but I used a lot of leftover equipment. For someone starting from scratch, the device would probably cost about $120.

If you guys would like more details on the consturction of this type of device, please let me know and I will post them.

Thanks!
Robert.

I already have a chest freezer with temp control but I'm still interested in what you put together and I bet many others are as well so feel free to post details when you are bored.

I really enjoy these threads though there's an entire diy section over in the beer subforum full of like minded people. You should probably post the details there and link to it.

Back