Immersion chiller materials question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
hey everybody, a friend and I are about to make a couple of immersion chillers, and I had a couple of questions:

1, is there a different between utility grade copper tubing and type L, aside from type L being twice as expensive. the package on the utility grade stuff says it's good for water service so I'm thinking it must be food safe... but I was still wondering

2, is there a specific type of tubing that I need to use? I found plain old clear vinyl tubing at home depot, but I'm not sure if it's food safe (I'll have some tubing left over after I'm done with the IC so I was going to use it for racking, bottling etc) is there a specific type of tubing required for racking?

1. Not sure, but copper is one of the elements, i.e. it's a basic metal. As long as the tubing is solid copper it should work fine. Now if the more expensive one is twisted inside in such a fashion that it creates turbulence in water flowing through it, that would theoretically make it more efficient at cooling the wort. The idea there is that the entire cross-section of the stream of water is constantly getting brushed up against the side of the tubing where the heat transfer takes place. But somehow I doubt that's what "type L" means.

2. Nah, plain ol' vinyl tubing should be fine. It will get sanitized anyway.

The walls of Type L are thicker than Type M/regular stuff... I would use M because you wont get any better efficiency using a thicker tube. In fact efficiency would probably suffer with L

Latest posts

Back