Equipment for lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I'd like to attempt my first lager, but I don't have permission to take up room for another fridge/fermentation chamber. It's currently 56 degrees at the bottom of my stairs, so I'd like to cool the brew down just a bit more. I ferment in a sanke, so I thought possibly going with a peltier cooler, but I know they are very inefficient. My other option was to heat the brew in the garage to keep it where I need it. I'd like to get some kind of silicone encased heat pad, but I'll need to find one at a decent price. Any thoughts or suggestions or pictures to help me on my first lager would be great.

How cold is the garage? Can you fit a dorm fridge out there? Or that's out to the question. I guess I'd just let it ride in the garage if getting another fridge out there is out of the question. Not sure what to tell you on the heating pad.

dfess1 said:
How cold is the garage? Can you fit a dorm fridge out there? Or that's out to the question. I guess I'd just let it ride in the garage if getting another fridge out there is out of the question. Not sure what to tell you on the heating pad.

Well I'm in Dallas, so while it does get cold it can spike to 70 the next day, so that has me a bit worried. Sometimes it stays cold for a week or two. i figured the heating pad would maintain the temp i want if its too cold. The garage is pretty full with tools and my wife's car. I think what I need is a lager cave below my apartment lol.

oldstyle69 said:
look up the Sanyo 4912.

I googled it, but it doesn't look like anyone is fitting a sanke into it. I'm still trying to do this without a fridge since I only have to knock off a 5-10 degrees inside the house.

Latest posts

Back