Cherry Dunkleweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Cherry Dunkleweizen in the bottle. Took a sample: cherry and spice/clove aroma; tastes tart/sour from the cherries, and has some clove/spice taste. Definately needs time to bottle condition. Might lay off the cherries a bit next time and try to get my fermentation temperature down to lessen the cloviness.

Used NB's kit for the base, then added three pounds of tart cherries and two pounds of sweet cherries.

Recipe? I know you posted it was a Northern Brewer but they do have options for their kits.

Did you just add them to the secondary? How long in the prim and secondary? I would love to do a cherry chocolate porter, and nowthat you have brought this up, now would be the time to get it started for a December or January drink schedule.

I used the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephen yeast. I let it primary for a little over a week. Racked the beer on 5# cherries in secondary, where I let it set for about two weeks. I'm going to let it bottle condition for 2 weeks to a month, or whenever I get too impatient and crack one open :)

beer turned out great! tartness is still there, just not as strong. The same for the clove flavor. it also developed what i can only describe as a creaminess. it's just a really good beer.

I thought lower fermentation temps emphasized the clove-flavors and higher temps the banana-esters. Is this not true?

I could be wrong with the temperature listed earlier. When I primaried the beer, it was around 74-76, according to my thermometer. then i added that to the cold water in my primary and topped off. however, my fermometer listed the temp around 80. I imagine that's possible from the temps i had sanitized my carboy at prior. I also admit to noob/stupidity with the yeast and how the temps affect the flavors. guess i got it backward. still, there's clove. and awesome, tart cherry!

Back