PVPP and its use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
In another thread I have been complaining about a skunky sort of aroma in multiple beers that doesnt seem to translate to the flavor at all. The only real commonality between them all is that Im using gelatin to clear out my lighter colored beers.

In order to confirm this Ive just used PVPP in my pilsner however after dropping it in 5g in warm water for 5Gals into the keg, theres a lot of people suggesting its needs to be filtered after its cleared out. This wasnt in the instructions on the pack.

Is filtration essential? Sort of defeats the purpose when I could have just run it through a 1 micron filter in the first place.

As long as I dont rack the crap off the bottom and the beer is clear its ok right????

Why don't you try adding nothing at all??? I use a primary fermenter only for 3 weeks, then keg or bottle - I end up with absolutely crystal clear beers for things like pilsners, blondes, etc..... You do not need gelatin or filtering to get clear beer.

not an option to not use finings. I use it because of time or the lack thereof and spousal approval factor in a postage sized apartment.

I think people recommend filtering it because it is not digestible, or natural. I cant find the article I read about it, but I guess filtering is not required? I have heard of some brewers not filtering it. I prefer gelatin myself. Some folks use isinglass. Both are natural and consumed by people regularly (jello and fish). Of course, if your beer is having an order issue, moving to fish is probably not the best choice heh.

Back