beer still fermenting after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I brewed an Amber Ale 2 weeks ago and the air lock is still bubling away 2-3 times a minute. there is a nice layer of krausen on top. Everything smells fine so I don't think that there is an infection or anything. i am going to take a gravity reading this evening to see where I am. Any other ideas?

65ish and Wyeast package of yeast. Every thing is virtually the same as my last beer which was basically done within a week

Let it rock, until you know it is done.

I had one that was at 68F, put it in the secondary on the 28th of December and last night the kraussen was gone. Bubbled the whole time, about a bubble every 30 seconds.

I was worried about it the whole time, wondering if I had an infection or not. So far so good. You can't do anything about it until it has ran it's course one way or the other. After all I am not going to bottle it until the fermintation has stopped, and I am okay to leave it there as the taste of the beer in the gravity samples still taste like beer.

I've had this happen to me twice now.

Fermented for far longer than I had expected, with the airlock bubbling every 20 - 30 seconds for 3 weeks.

In the end both came out just fine, though both had a slightly more 'fruity' flavor than my beer normally produces.

In my case the yeast seemed to have been underpitched, (in both instancesI used a liquid yeast which I will not attempt again until I have a stir plate)

Not to worry, you beer will probably be fine. (RHAHB)

kram said:
In the end both came out just fine, though both had a slightly more 'fruity' flavor than my beer normally produces.

underpitching or under aeration are the likely cause of fruity flavors here.

The yeast wanted to grow but couldn't, this is what produces esters.

Kai

I took a reading today and it is only down to 1.030 from a SG of 1.045ish. Seems like it is going pretty slow. Do I need to re-pitch? I was hoping to make another batch this weekend but it looks like that won't happen until I can get this beer out of the primary. At least another week. Ugggggggggggh!

I just brewed a pale ale last monday. Pitched some pacman yeast that I'd propagated from a six of Dead Guy. Tuesday it was rockin', had a healthy blanket of krausen on top. Today is Friday, and the thing is still rockin'. I was hoping that I'd be able to brew my brown on Monday and pitch on top of the yeast cakes, but maybe not. Usually, my beer is done in about 5 days, but this is a untried pale recipe and I've never brewed with the pacman before, so I'm just gonna let it go until it's ready.

Just let your's go until it's ready.

Allan

Back