smaller pots for first year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
from what i read, first year hops dont produce as much since a majority of the energy is placed in root growth. If you use a relativly small pot for the first year, limiting its root growth, will you yield more verus a huge pot? the 1st year

They grow fast bud!!! I wouldn't put them in anything smaller 5 gallon buckets but that is pushing it! Limiting root growth seems like a bad idea.

My two hop plants maxed out those half whiskey barrels in two years. They were probably root bound by the first year since they grow so much. I got small yields from them in pots and that is why I transferred mine to the ground as soon as I could. (my NB is still in a pot) I would put them in as big of a pot as you can to give them as much freedom as possible.

No, the root growth is what allows for more growth above ground. If you have a limited root system, it would follow that the plant wouldn't be able to produce as much, since it doesn't have as much of a solid footing.

Back