Road Kill Red (IRA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4ck37p1mp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002 (WLP001 works too)
Yeast Starter
1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
22.6 IBU
Color
17.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Malty and complex.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Road Kill Red
Brewer: Jason
Asst Brewer:
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 gal
Boil Size: 22.89 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
25.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.37 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.59 %
5.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
4.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 31.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Fly Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 9.84 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F
60 min Fly Sparge 13.79 gal of water at 180.0 F

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually WLP004 is the most appropriate, but I've made this with WLP001 and WLP002 and it still comes out very good. I've always used US 2 row but UK 2 row would be more appropriate.

Have a sense of humor. I was going to call my brewery 'Coon Smack Brewing' after chasing a raccoon several times off our coolers once when camping and finally smacking it with a flashlight. Amusing to me, able to be taken out of context by others. The names of my beers were along that theme. I've realized the world generally takes itself too seriously these days to have any sort of fun. The name stays, get over it. This is why I have to pick a politically correct brewery and I guess beer names. Lame.

PS - why don't you brew a batch and tell me if it insults 'uk ira'. IRA is one of my favorite styles, along with stouts, porters, southern browns, cream ales, scottish 80, etc. I've done my best to perfect my idea of what an IRA should be over 8 batches to have this recipe as it is.

PPS - And my wife IS IRISH!

To the OP - do a Google search for "UK IRA." The first hits have NOTHING to do with beer. As a citizen of the UK, smittykoi made a reasonable assumption that your brew name was very off color, though you meant no harm.

Perhaps I can summarize:

OP posts "Road Kill IRA" as an amusing recipe name, meaning "Road Kill" in the literal sense, and IRA as "Irish Red Ale."

UK citizen takes the name out of context, referring to a possible double entendre where IRA could stand for "Irish Republican Army."

OP takes the "insult" comment out of context, thinking that the guy from the UK is telling him that his recipe is an insult to the style.

It's a simple, ongoing misunderstanding. Let's please get past it.

Oh please,I don't think it was meant to insult anyone, its just a name,but if you don't like it,don't look at it.....B....

Back