Volume Less than 5 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedie

Reaction score
Not sure why at this point, but assuming I miss-read the volume markers on the primary due to foam and did NOT put enough water in my wort.

I just racked over to the secondary and it's apparent it appears I was about 1/3 gallon light on the volume.

I'll be taking a sg tonight (hydrometer was not sanitized last night). But not sure what to use as a guide. sg should be high due to lack of water, but it still needs a week or two of secondary so I would assume the sg should be higher than final sg.

Or am I simply going to have a "heavy" beer?

Your gravities and ABV will be slightly higher than target, but not enough to notice. If your target FG is 1.010-1.014, you'd see 1.0106-1.0148. Hard to read that on my hydrometer.

i always put about 5.5g in my primary, your going to lose some volume to trub. when i drop it to the secondary i almost always end up with 5 g.

as far as hydrometer readings, you dont need to sanitize anything. just take enough wort out to test and discard it, dont put the 1/2 pint or so test wort back in the fermenter.(drink it)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just hung up on getting my gravities to where they should be and this threw me for a loop.

Heck ... it's beer!!! How badly could it be screwed up??? <G>

Back