Color spots in cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewman79

Reaction score
A few months back i put my mash tun outside and left the lid on but left my ball valve open.When i was moving i opened the cooler and it had water and bugs in there.So im guessing moisture got in there from the tail end of summer and caused the white walls of the insde of the cooler to discolor.I thought it was blue due to my color blindness,but it turns out it is pink.

While doing some research online i discovered pink mold called Fusarium.Turns out from what wiki says its affects the brewing industry by infecting barley.Anyone had this happen to them?I havnt scrubbed the cooler with bleach or star san yet.Does anyone think a good cleaning/sanitizing kill the color/mold?.I would rather keep the cooler since its somewhat new,but would rather avoid infecting future beers?Any ideas?

Hard water can also cause pink stains on white plastics due to some various metals.

However, if the pink stains are accompanied by a thin, slimy film, it could very well be an extremely common type of bacteria that thrives on cold, wet surfaces (like in the bathroom). And they are chlorine-resistant, so you'll need to sanitize the surface thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back