Hi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyboy85

Reaction score
Iv made a batch of wine using one litre of this juice, I thought it was 100% juice, it wasn't till after I made that I realised it wasn't, is there anything in the ingredients list that will affect the fermentation process? Or should I just pour out and start again? Thanks for the help guys

image-4075923185.jpg

Hi, Although I'm a novice I'm pretty sure you are fine. You want juice with no preservatives, such as sulphites. Buy juice that is real juice with as little additives as possible. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) is
fine.

Watch these youtube videos although they are about cider.
I find this guy quite interesting!

All the best.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything bad. What you want to avoid is sulfates and artificial preservatives in the mix. This drink has added malic acid so you may think it pretty tart if you let it finish dry.

It's fine.

Since it's basically watered down juice, though, it will be thin and without much body. Usually that's fine with a quick wine, so it won't really matter.

Jimmyb....product with potassium metabisulphite or such, and potassium sorbate is fine to use for winemaking. The doses in those products are quite minimal and will not cause problems when you go to make wine. I have yet to have a ferment not take off due to using products that have these in them. You simply do not add campden/k-meta to your batch until your wine is transferred from primary to carboy/airlock.

The one thing to avoid is any type of benzoate, it is used instead of sorbate in some products and is a PITA to try to establish a ferment when that chemical is in the juice....have never been successful.

apples and pears combined do not make good wine.....it is okay wine, but not worthy in my opinion

Back