cork instead of rubber stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I searched around a decent bit so I wouldn't get yelled at and couldn't find a solid answer on the following...

My LHBS is closed for the rest of the weekend and I ran out of rubber stoppers for all my fermenters...waiting to transfer isn't an option...bought a cork stopper at home depot...is it okay to use this to plug a secondary fermenter? Or will it let in too much oxygen?

It is def. going to let in more oxygen and it would be a lot harder to sanitize but if it is temporary I wouldn't fret it too much.

Just until I can bottle what's in my other secondary, which would be tomorrow (drank too much to bottle right now)...then I can sanitize that stopper and use for this brew...is a day with the cork okay?

One day is nothing to worry about, 1 month is nothing to worry about. The more oxygen the beer gets during fermentation the more esters and other yummies you might get.

What about using a bucket instead of a glass carboy for secondary fermentation? Any downside to that? Sorry for the noob paranoia...

no, IMHO there is no downside to that. Or, you could just cover the top of the secondary fermenter with aluminum foil and a rubber band for temporary until you can get a new stopper tomorrow or monday.

Back