my all grain recipe for a warsteiner dunkel clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
couldn't fine a warstiener dunkel clone anywhere, so i made one up. it's GREAT! just brewed it for a second time today. thought i'd share the recipe for anyone interested. enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
death by dunkel chainsaw brewing

General
Category: Dark Lager
Subcategory: Munich Dunkel
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 70 %
Total Grain/Extract: 11.65 lbs.
Total Hops: 2.3 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 219.1
Cost to Brew: $26.85 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.50 (USD)

Ingredients
7.25 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam®
3.5 lbs. German Dark Munich
.20 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.20 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III®
1.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.25 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 2565 Kolsch

Notes

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.057
Terminal Gravity: 1.008
Color: 19.65 SRM
Bitterness: 33.6 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 6.7%

one thing to add, i had my hops in a grain bag for the boil, so the bitterness is less effecient than the brew software said it would be on purpose to make it less bitter like the style.

brian

Vey interested, thanks for the recipe. Pretty close to the real thing? I tried to brew a clone by adapting another recipe but it came out to light. I'll have to try this one thanks.

landhoney said:
Vey interested, thanks for the recipe. Pretty close to the real thing? I tried to brew a clone by adapting another recipe but it came out to light. I'll have to try this one thanks.

well this is only the second time to brew this recipe, but the first batch came out very close. slight coffee bitterness in the aftertaste, super light hints of chocolate, a good malty flavor, perfect color, and perfect mouthfeel and carbonation. if anything, it's slightly better than the warsteiner.

What mash technique did you use? I tried this as my first attempted AG, but it soon turned into a partial mash. I did a single infusion mash and only drew 1.030 og at 70*F, so I added light and dark dme and corn sugar till it came up to about 1.050. I think I'll call this one "Dunkel Gone Wrong", and try again later. Any suggestions?

As a side note, I think my water is far to soft. I just received my analysis, and most of my minerals are very low. I'm working on familiarizing myself with the water chemistry aspect before my next brew. Hopefully the next one will be more effiecient. Eh, it's a learning experience.

Wow! Just what I was looking for! I'm fairly new to home brewing and have not yet done an all grain brew. You don't say...but I assume you did a single infusion mash? What temp did you strike at? I assume from the type of grains a lower temperature of around 150F? Please advise...thanks! Can't wait to brew this extremely difficult to find (in Kalifornia) Warsteiner dunkel.

I know this is a bit old but what temp did you ferment at? And any special fermentation techniques?

Back