Dark Candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I'm about to cook up my 6th (ever) batch tonight, and I am doing a psuedo Belgian strong ale (all extract). I've got the clear candi sugar ready to go for this batch, but in the future I'd like to attempt a dubbel so I'll need dark candi sugar.

Is this achieved by carmelization of the sugar, or with just making the candi sugar out of brown sugar? Or some other method? Thanks in advance. :mug:

If you're making your own at home with citric acid, cook it until it gets dark. Can take a while (even hours) to do it slow and carefully to make sure you don't burn it or get the temp to crack stage too early.

P.S. Always use white sugar. The molasses in Brown sugar will probably not allow a good crack.

Thanks guys. I used some clear candi sugar in this last batch, I hope it gives that rummy flavor I taste in some of the belgian ales.

I made some last night for the first time (had only done clear before) and it only took about 45 minutes to get to amber and was easy as can be. $0.34 vs $4 a pound...shoot

Latest posts

Back