Recipe Feedback For This Week's Brews: Oktoberfest, Kolsch, & Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
I'm planning to do three batches this week, one is an original recipe and two are modified existing recipes. Please give any feedback if you have any.

(Original) Cornucopia Oktoberfest

Malts:
6# German Pilsner
4# Munich
4# Vienna
8oz Wheat
8oz CaraVienne
8oz CaraMunich
8oz CaraBohemian

Hops:
60 min, 1.0oz Czech Saaz @ 3.2%
60 min, 1.0oz Hallertau @ 5.2%
60 min, 1.0oz Tettnang @ 4%

Yeast:
White Labs Oktoberfest / Marzen Lager (WLP820)

Comments:
I know it's out of style but I'd like a big Oktoberfest to serve for my birthday. A giant mug of this and you should be feeling pretty well. ~40 IBU, ~8% ABV, 0.46 BU:GU -- 90 minute boil to reduce DMS from the pilsner. Ferment in the mid 50°F range and lager until October.

============================================================================

(Modified) Ed Wort's Kolsch

Malts:
9# German Pilsner
2# 12oz Wheat Malt, German

Hops:
60 min, 1.0oz Perle @ 8%
30 min, 0.75oz Tettnang @ 4%
5 min, 0.75oz Tettnang @ 4%

Yeast:
White Labs German Ale / Kolsch

Comments:
Again, slightly out of style. Started with Ed Wort's recipe and scaled up the malts and hops to get closer to 6%. ~35 IBU, ~6% ABV, 0.6 BU:GU -- 90 minute boil for DMS, ferment in the low to mid 60's.

============================================================================

(Modified) Centennial Blonde

Malts:
10# American 2-row
12oz Crystal 10L
12oz Dextrin/CaraPils
12oz Vienna

Hops:
60 min, 0.4oz Centennial @ 9.9%
30 min, 0.4oz Centennial @ 9.9%
15 min, 0.4oz Cascade @ 7%
5 min, 0.4oz Cascade @ 7%

Yeast:
Nottingham Yeast

Comments:
Centennial blonde was a hit at home, looking to make the same thing but higher alcohol. Adjusted malt and hop bill upwards to hit higher gravity with same BU:GU ratio. ~30 IBU, 5.7% ABV, .55 BU:GU

I think they all look very tasty! I can see you lean more towards the higher end of the scale as far as style guideline go, and that is cool. I would say as far as style goes, the only one that I would maybe consider toning down is the O-Fest, but you said you want a large mug to make you feel well, and at 8% it sure will do that!

I have all three styles on my recently brewed/to-brew list, already did a Blonde (Amarillo), Kolsch will be next, then the O-Fest. Its kind of a tradition to brew these styles in the spring/summer time for me (of course mixing in the IPAs and other odds/ends brews). I’ve been recently toning all my beers down to the lower end of style, mostly for calorie management but also so my guests and I can enjoy more than a few on any given night.

Latest posts

Back