Woops! Forgot to rinse sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooty

Reaction score
I was brewing my second batch the other night and in a late night state of fatigue and beer drinking I forgot to rinse my carboy after I sanitized it with C-brite. I realized as I was pouring in the wort but by then it was too late. I had good airlock activity on days 2,3,and 4. It has calmed now but appears to still be fermenting. Is my beer going to taste like Chlorine? Will it affect the fermentation? Should I rack to a secondary? It's a Fat Tire clone so it's not real hoppy.
thanks

Never heard of C-brite, but this site says it is "no rinse" http://www.heartshomebrew.com/home_brew_beer.cgi?&p_id=6105&xm=on&ppinc=dave2full which means it just needs to be drained and air-dried. The chlorine would evaporate off, but if there was residual liquid, then some would be left behind.

Even if it was supposed to be rinsed, it should not affect fermentation. You'll know yourself if there was enough chlorine left behind to affect the flavor. My guess is that there wasn't.

A no-rinse sanitizer is good so you don't risk infecting the equipment with anything in the rinse water.

starsan will be your new brew buddy.

I have some Starsan. I was trying to use up the C-brite that came with my eqipment kit. The instructions on the package say to rinse and then air dry. I'm hoping that it isn't neceesary. I guess I'll find out in a month or so.

i'm sure it'll be fine, i wouldn't sweat it if you poured most of it out... but if you have anymore, just toss it and switch to starsan, it's a piece of cake.

I did the same thing with my bottles while bottling. I'm gonna crack one open on Sunday (3 weeks in the bottle) so I'll let ya know how my situation turned out.

I did the same thing and I was confused by the labeling as well. Mine too said to rinse, but then when I was at my LHBS I read the label on a canister on the shelf and it said no rinse. When I asked my LHBS owner he said it is the same stuff and it confuses a lot of people, and it is all no rinse. So by his word we both should be fine...... I hope.

the chlorine may (or may not) cause a slight 'plasticy' taste to your beer. So, if you get that flavor, don't blame your plastic buckets. If you don't get that flavor - hurrah!

In either case, good job sanitizing! very important, glad you're on top of it!
StarSan can be mixed in small quantities, put into a spray bottle and you can 'spritz' your buckets, etc...very economical.

Back